The Center for Great Lakes Literacy and Great Lakes Sea Grant Network invite teachers working with 5th-12th grade students and informal educators with a Great Lakes focus to apply for a spot on this unique, expenses-paid, educators’ cruise. Applicants must reside in a Great Lakes state. Applications are due February 28, 2020.
Join us for a week-long professional learning opportunity, working side-by-side with scientists on the 180-foot research vessel Lake Guardian. Participants board the ship on July 6, 2020 in Milwaukee, WI and return to Milwaukee on July 12, 2020.
- Work alongside top scientists as we explore the ecology, geology, geography, biogeochemistry, weather, and current issues affecting Lake Michigan.
- Learn to collect data and use scientific equipment to study water quality, food web dynamics, microbes, zooplankton, and larval fish.
- Experience high-quality curricula and resources focusing on Great Lakes literacy.
- Share this shipboard experience of a lifetime with like-minded educators dedicated to bringing environmental issues that affect the Great Lakes to the forefront of science education.
- Earn a stipend and 60 contact hours (if interested, two graduate semester hours from Ashland University [$360 tuition] can be purchased by the participant).