The Alpena-Montmorency Conservation District is a local unit of government that has been operating for more than a half century. We are geared at the protection of our natural resources. We have technical staff that can assist our private landowners and local units of government better understand, plan, manage, protect, and utilize our natural resources for current and future generations of Alpena and Montmorency counties. We are an entity of state government and currently hold four grants (Bovine TB, CTAI, MAEAP, and FAP) from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.
The value of a Soil Conservation District to assist the people in Alpena and Montmorency Counties in their soil and water conservation problems, as first discussed with the local people by the Agricultural Extension Agent. Meetings were held with service clubs, church groups, rural school teachers, and farm organizations to discuss the advisability of organizing a Soil Conservation District. In the spring of 1948, the County Agricultural Planning Committee, composed of one delegate from each of the seven subordinate Granges, sixteen Community Farm Bureaus and Junior Farm Bureau, selected as on of their goals the establishment of a Soil Conservation District.