Still unsure of what Place-Based Education is or how to start planning and implementing a project? If so, the resources below should be of assistance to you. They provide great explanations of what Place-Based Education is, why it is effective, how to get started, and examples of projects across the nation.
- Creating Stewards of the Great Lakes: This document was created by the Great Lakes Water Studies Institute, for the Great Lakes Fisheries Trust, after the completion of research on how to create effective stewards in the region. It gives their findings and recommendations for increasing Great Lakes Stewardship and focuses on Place-Based Education as an effective technique. This study played a large role in the creation of the Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative.
- Northwest Center for Sustainable Resources: The NCSR is a resource center that provides natural resources curriculum materials. With a strong focus in Place-Based Education, they have created numerous helpful guides in project development and implementation. This link will take you to the their website, where clicking on "Community-Based Secondary Education Guides" will allow you to download their resources free of charge.
- Place-Based Education: Connecting Classrooms & Communities by David Sobel: This book provides a great introduction to Place-Based Education including background information, how to implement a program, and examples of successful projects nationwide. The link will take you to a citation for the book including where to purchase it.
- Connecting Classrooms to the Community: A Guide for a Community-based Approach to Education: Community-based education background and lesson plans developed and written by Jon Yoder, Northwest center for Sustainable Resources, Chemeketa Community College. Published in 2012 with support from the National Science Foundation (NSF DUE # 0757239).
- National Science Teacher Association: This link will take you to the citation of articles and case studies about "Student/Teacher/Community Successes" from the National Science Teacher Association. A great resource for ideas and inspiration.
- Impacts of Place Based Education: This link will take you to the website for the Place Based Education Evaluation Collaborative. This website includes resources, such as this summary document, that describe the quantitative and qualitative impacts of PBE
- Department of the Interior 5-Year Plan for Pathways in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM): This link will take you to a newly released strategy to strengthen education and careers in STEM. This strategic plan provides a fiver-year framework for building a future workforce that is scientifically literate and has the necessary technical skills for conservation and natural resource management in the 21st century.